Tuesday, November 10, 2020

 

My Long Personal Nightmare is Over (I Hope)

WikiLeekZ is Our Name…Satire is (Usually) Our Game, But Not Today

I.          I can’t exactly explain it, but on Saturday, after the election was called for Joe Biden, I felt that a heavy burden was lifted from me. It’s as if five years of carrying a sack on my back and in my head - which had become heavier each succeeding day was miraculously taken from me. I actually felt lighter.

From election night to Saturday, I was glued to the radio, TV and internet hoping to get a final tally that would end the reign of trump. Tuesday night I stayed up until 1 or 2 am hoping for a glimmer of good news, then woke up and turned on the TV at five am to see if anything had changed. But I saw only slight advances in the margins.

Wednesday and Thursday I alternated between optimism and devastation. I went to bed late, woke up at 2 or 3 in the morning to check CNN for news and became a bit optimistic but that optimism was always tempered by the reminder of 2016 and of what four more years of trump would mean to me and the country.

Friday dawned and for the first time I began to feel more confidant  because 4 of the remaining uncalled 6 states - with Pennsylvania the grand prize were trending Biden. But trump and his machinations continued to nag me and in truth, scare the crap out of me.

II.         He has the DOJ in his pocket and perhaps even the Supreme Court to do his bidding. Nothing he has done as President has convinced me that he would leave office without a fight to the death-of him or our institutions.

Even now, after all of the networks and other media have called the election in favor of Biden and he is above the 270 count, if I were to be honest with myself, I worry that trump could pull off some diabolical plot to retain power or to cause such chaos and disorder in the country that it would divide us for generations.

I have no hope or expectation that Republican leaders will cause trump to accept defeat gracefully for the good of the nation. They have done everything in their power to divide us and cling to their power and fiefdoms in a way that reminds me of Charlton Heston saying “I will give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands”

III.        I’m finished with them and done with those who have supported trump in all of the cruel, dangerous and self-serving actions he’s taken for 5 years. These people are all complicit in the suffering of children and the parents of migrant families.

By supporting trump, they are answerable for the dangerous changes in our climate and for doing away with the numerous protections of our environment, health care, national intelligence and foreign relations.

And, most of all, they must own up to their responsibility for the needless deaths and illness of tens of thousands of Americans from the Corona virus.

I’m done with these people. If they want to examine their actions these past five years and truly understand their recklessness and want to talk reasonably of policies to better the country, I will consider talking with them and renewing relationships. But, as I suspect, a good number of them will continue following trump, oil their weapons, buy more ammo, stock up on red hats and march toward the cliff in unison behind der leader.

Many of them will die of Covid 19 before reaching the precipice but before that they will give the disease to their family and friends and then to us and our country will have suffered even more destruction because of one malicious, disturbed man enabled by millions of our fellow citizens.

IV.        Our nation is at a crossroads in its history. We stand at the intersection of a number of roads, highways and paths from which we may select. What we choose now will mark the path that our country will take for many years into the future.

Shall we choose hatred, ignorance, greed and death or shall we follow a better, much different avenue? It’s up to you and to me.

I hope we all be able to say that “Our long national nightmare is over”- Gerald R Ford

Zeny

WikiLeekZ is NOT the NEWZ, But Today May Be Someday

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment